I rarely actually use cardamom. I'm more of a basil and oregano and red chili girl.
RSS

Wednesday

The Hazards of Sugar

I mentioned earlier that I was going to watch The Hazards of Sugar, and have now done so.  I link to a link of the videos for two reasons: first, it was through Eat. Drink. Better. that I came across the lecture in the first place, and also because if you haven't heard of that blog and you are interested in food, you're missing out.  I cannot believe how fast the presentation went.  Some of the biochemistry was a bit over my head, but all in all it made a lot of sense.

The speaker, University of San Francisco professor John Lustig, sets out to prove that fructose is the main culprit in the fights against several diseases and conditions, including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity and hypertension.  During the 90-minute lecture, he successfully shows a correlation between that chemical and several of these diseases, and then goes on to illustrate why that is.  This illustrated what I had long known to be true -- high fructose corn syrup is bad.  But, previous to watching, I was not aware that sucrose acted in the same way.  In addition, and this may sound pretty ignorant, I sort of thought fructose outside of the super concentrated syrup was okay, and I learned here that it "sort of"is and "sort of"is a poison.  I was a little nervous that I was going to have to stop eating fruit until Dr. Lustig pointed out that nature provides the antidote -- in this case, fiber.  Wipe the sweat off that brow, I can keep making those smoothies.

On the other hand, I now have further research to do.  I would like to know why agave is considered a good alternative to sugar.  There's no fiber in that bottle of it I bought the other day.  And also, I would like to know why I do not trust Splenda or related sweeteners.  I wonder what sort of effect they have on the liver and the rest of the body.

1 comment:

  1. And now I may sound pretty ignorant but I think that if it is chemically modified or just modified is bound to be bad....
    Fresh, raw and natural... That's the way to go.
    Mr. Xaxim

    ReplyDelete